RFL is such a great part of camp. I think it's one thing that always makes summer camp the best camp of all the seasons. There's a stronger spirit at summer camp, and I think more connection and camaraderie as we are all called upon to be heroes together. We face the fear and the pain and the unknown, with courage and drive and hope. And we raise lots of monies to help find a cure.
This RFL was very personal for me, because it was my first RFL since losing a loved one to cancer. I was unable to attend last year's RFL because it just happened to fall on the same day as my loved one's birthday, and her birthday was a fundraiser for her treatment. It was a beautiful night, we were all so joyful and I'll never forget holding her, dancing with her amidst our friends. Three months later, she was gone.
This year, when I got to RFL I arrived alone. I wanted to run one lap of the track by myself, to honor my loved one, and I did so. Along the way I caught up with Kenzie and we went some of the way together, and that was okay too.
There were lots of neat sites at RFL this year. On my solo lap I explored one woman's journey through cancer from diagnosis to recovery, and it was laid out through a beautiful waterway journey. I couldn't get the boat the work for me at the entrance, so I jumped in and swam the whole way. It was a little more effort but it was worth it. I was so overcome by this site, that I forgot to take pictures there. I did take some at another favorite site though, which was a tiny fairy forest. I loved sitting next to the little bitty houses cause I look like a giant!
When I was finished my solo lap, I caught up with Mommy and followed her around the track with a group of kids. Our family met up at the Purple Tears site and had a little rest between Theme Hours. My favorite theme hour was the fantasy one. I was a elf and Keir was a fairy and Mommy was a carebear, and I know this won't be surprising but, Daddy was a giant penguin. Yep. Of course. What else would he be?
Everyone tries to stay up all night long for RFL, but most of us fall asleep at some point. I got tired and fell asleep next to Mommy on a giant alphabet block. I was so tired, I slept right through the closing ceremony the next morning!






No comments:
Post a Comment